Louisiana Supreme Court - 400 Royal St., New Orleans, LA 70130 | Tel: 504-310-2300 Hon. Bernette J. Johnson. Chief Justice.  John Tarlton Olivier., Clerk of Court.  Sandra A. Vujnovich. Judicial Administrator
image 4
1x1 1x1 1x1 1x1 1x1
Advanced Search | Translate
About The Court

  Biographies of Justices
  Maps of Judicial Districts
  FAQ About the Court
  Judiciary Budget

Judicial Administrator's Office
  Judicial Administrator
  Forms for Judges
Law Library & Legal Resources
  Library Information
  Library Catalog
  Online Resource Center
  Forms-Supreme Court
Louisiana Judicial Entities
  Judiciary Commission
  Judicial Council
  Judicial College
  Attorney Disciplinary Board
  Bar Admissions Committee
  Mandatory Continuing Legal Education
Press Room
  Policy for Media
  Press Releases
  Bar Exam Results
Community Outreach  
  Law Day
  Kid's Page
  Job Opportunities
  Current Openings
  ADA Statement
  EEO Policy
Court Managed Programs 
  Children and Families
  Court Interpreters
  Drug Courts
  Grants for Courts
  Louisiana Protective Order
Court Administrators Association
  LA Court Administrators
 Additional Information
  Judicial Campaign Oversight

  Records Custodians
  Invitations to Comment
  Links: Other Courts and

  Judicial Compensation
  Site Map
  In Memoriam
  Contact Us


 Louisiana Protective Order Registry (LPOR)

 After Filing

These are the steps a petitioner takes after filing:



It is not required that the petitioner have an attorney at the hearing, the petitioner may represent him/herself. However, some victim services programs and legal aid organizations provide no-cost or low-cost legal representation to victims of domestic violence or sexual assault.  The petitioner who wants to have an attorney present at court should contact the attorney's office or the victim service agency immediately upon receiving the TRO and court date, to arrange representation.

The petitioner should notify any potential witnesses about the court date.


At the hearing the petitioner may be asked to explain to the court the history of abuse or stalking or sexual assault and/or the need for court protection. The defendant, if present, will be given an opportunity to respond. The judge will determine whether to grant the protection requested.

If the petition is filed under the Domestic Abuse Assistance Act (LPOR B, BR), Protection from Dating Violence Act (LPOR B or BR), Protection from Stalking Act (LPOR D), or Protection for Victims of Sexual Assault Act (LPOR D), the order granted at the hearing is called a protective order, and can be good for up to 18 months from the date of the hearing. Some of the items on the order may be non-expiring.

If the petition is filed under the Civil Code of Proc. Art. 3601, et seq. (LPOR O), the order granted at the hearing is called a Preliminary Injunction and will be in effect until a hearing for a Permanent Injunction is held.

If a hearing officer presides over the hearing instead of a judge. 

In some courts a hearing officer hears protective order cases instead of the judge. After the hearing, the hearing officer writes his/her recommendations to the judge about whether or not the orders should be granted. The petitioner and defendant are given copies of the recommendation. If the petitioner or defendant does not agree with the hearing officer's recommendations, s/he can ask for a hearing before the judge within 3 days of the hearing officer's hearing. The TRO remains in effect until the judge makes a decision, or for 15 days, whichever is the longest. The petitioner should find out when and how to obtain a copy of the judge's order once s/he has ruled on the hearing officer's recommendations.

The petitioner should receive a certified copy of the order, and keep it handy at all times. It is a good idea to make copies of the order for work, school, car, daycare, or storage in a safe place.

Go to Top


It is a crime to violate a court order of protection. The petitioner can call the police if the defendant violates the terms of the order. The petitioner may also bring the violation to the court's attention by asking for a hearing on a contempt of court charge. A motion for a Rule To Show Cause Why Defendant Should Not Be Held in Contempt can be filed with the clerk of court and a hearing will be set. The defendant will be served and notified of the hearing. The petitioner must be present at the hearing to tell the court about the violation.


To extend the court order beyond the period of time the judge has granted, the petitioner can file a motion to modify the order - BEFORE it expires. 

If the petitioner or defendant wishes to change the terms of the order, a motion to modify the order can be filed. 

If the petitioner or defendant wishes to dissolve the order, a motion to dissolve can be filed.

The court will set a date for a hearing and the defendant will be served with a copy of the motion and a request to be present. The petitioner must be present at the hearing to tell the judge why the extension, modification or dissolution is requested.

Go to Top


The Louisiana Protective Order Registry is a project  of the Office of the Judicial Administrator, Supreme Court of Louisiana

void image


Louisiana Supreme Court, 400 Royal St., New Orleans, LA 70130
Clerk of Court's Office (504) 310-2300
Judicial Administrator's Office (504) 310-2550
Law Library of Louisiana (504) 310-2400
Email: webmaster@lasc.org

Employee Access