PUBLIC INFORMATION OFFICER
Supreme Court Building Dedication Ceremony - Saturday, October
2, 2004, Noon
Open House for members of the public and Louisiana Bar - Sunday,
October 3, 2004, 1-3 p.m.
United States Supreme
Court Justice Sandra Day O'Connor joined Louisiana Supreme
Court Chief Justice Pascal Calogero, Jr., the Associate Justices
of the Louisiana Supreme Court and the Judges of the Court
of Appeal-Fourth Circuit, as they gathered on the steps of
the newly restored courthouse at 400 Royal Street for a dedication
ceremony to officially designate it as the Louisiana Supreme
Court Building. The event marks the return of the judiciary
to Royal Street in the French Quarter of New Orleans.
"Returning the state's
highest court to this awe-inspiring building demonstrates
to citizens and visitors alike that we, the people of Louisiana,
value our system of justice, our rich cultural heritage and
our distinctive architecture. However, let me assure you that
the justices and judges who toil within these walls are fully
aware that justice is not wrought by shaping marble and stone,
but rather, by dedication to the rule of law and the painstaking
application of mind, time and work ," said Chief Justice Pascal
F. Calogero, Jr.
The Beaux Arts-style
building was originally built in 1910 for the Louisiana Supreme
Court and the Orleans Civil District Court. The building has
now been restored for multi-purpose use to house the Louisiana
Supreme Court, the Court of Appeal-Fourth Circuit, the State
Judicial Administrator's Office, the Law Library of Louisiana,
an Attorney General's Office and, in time, a legal museum.
In May 2004, following more than 20 years of planning, the
Supreme Court moved back to the French Quarter courthouse
that it vacated in 1958.
in the dedication ceremony, emceed by Ambassador Lindy Boggs,
were Governor Kathleen Babineaux Blanco, Lt. Governor Mitch
Landrieu, Attorney General Charles Foti, Jr., Mayor Ray Nagin,
Louisiana Division of Administration Commissioner Jerry Luke
LeBlanc, Louisiana State Bar Association President Michael
McKay, and representing the Louisiana Supreme Court Historical
Society, Judge Eldon Fallon. Stirring musical performances
by United States Marine Corps Reserve Band and the Franklin
Avenue Baptist Choir of New Orleans underscored the dignity
and excitement of this important day in Louisiana history.
As part of the ceremony,
on behalf of the Court, Chief Justice Calogero presented U.S.
Supreme Court Justice O'Connor with a watercolor print of
the courthouse. Additionally, by proclamation, Mayor Nagin
officially declared October 2, 2004 as "Sandra Day O'Connor
Day" in New Orleans.
When the ceremony ended,
the courthouse doors were opened for invited guests and the
public to tour the public areas of the Louisiana Supreme Court
Building. On Sunday, October 3, 2004, an Open House will be
held from 1 pm. - 3 p.m. for members of the public and the
Louisiana Bar who are encouraged and welcome to tour the building.