| Court News
NEW: COURT CLOSURE ORDERS AND INFORMATION
- LOUISIANA SUPREME COURT will be closed Thursday, July 11, 2019 and Friday, July 12, 2019. For purposes of timeliness of filings, Thursday and Friday will be considered legal holidays.
- FIRST CIRCUIT COURT OF APPEAL - The First Circuit courthouse in Baton Rouge will be closed on Friday, July 12, 2019, due to the risks associated with the severe weather and the related hazardous road conditions expected from Tropical Storm Barry. The court will re-open on Monday, July 15, 2019.
- THIRD CIRCUIT COURT OF APPEAL (7/12/19)
- FOURTH CIRCUIT COURT OF APPEAL - Due to the continued threat of severe weather, the Court will be closed on Thursday and Friday (July 11th -12th). For additional information, check the court's website at http://www.la4th.org/Default.aspx.
- FIFTH CIRCUIT COURT OF APPEAL - The Fifth Circuit Court of Appeal will close at 12:00 P.M. on Thursday, July 11, 2019 and will remain closed all day Friday, July 12, 2019 due to severe tropical weather. For additional information, check the court's website at http://www.fifthcircuit.org/.
- ORLEANS PARISH JUVENILE COURT (7/10/19, 7/11/19, 7/12/19)
- Municipal and Traffic Court of New Orleans closed Wednesday July 10, 2019 due to weather conditions and flooding. The Municipal and Traffic Court of New Orleans will reopen and resume business operations on Monday, July 15, 2019.
- Orleans Civil District Court, First City Court and Second City Court will close at noon on Thursday, July 11, 2019. For additional information, check the court’s website at www.orleanscdc.com.
- ORLEANS CRIMINAL COURT will be closed Thursday, July 11, 2019. Criminal District Court will remain closed on Friday, July 12th due to project inclement weather. Please refer to local media outlets and the Court’s website and Facebook page for further details. Those individuals with scheduled court hearings in sections of court should report on the first opening of business following this closure. Jurors scheduled for Empanelment tomorrow, July 12th should report on Friday, July 19th between 8:30 am and 1:00 pm. For additional information check the court's website at http://www.criminalcourt.org/.
- 15TH JUDICIAL DISTRICT COURT (noon 7/12/19)
- 16TH JUDICIAL DISTRICT COURT (7/12/19, 7/15/19)
-Jury Cancellation for the week beginning 7/15/19.
- 17TH JUDICIAL DISTRICT COURT (7/12/19) - Divisions A and E remain open on 7-12-19 and will close upon completion of docketed matters. Divisions B, C, and D are closed on 7-12-19. Courts will re-open as normal on 7-15-19.
- 18TH JUDICIAL DISTRICT COURT (noon 7/12/19)
- 19TH JUDICIAL DISTRICT COURT will be closed Friday, July 12, 2019.
- 21ST JUDICIAL DISTRICT COURT - The 21st JDC Judges Offices will close at noon on July 12, 2019. Clerks of Court in Tangipahoa and Livingston will also close at noon on July 12, 2019
- 22ND JUDICIAL DISTRICT COURT (noon 7/12/19 - 8:30 AM 7/16/19)
- 23RD JUDICIAL DISCTRICT COURT (noon (7/12/19)
- 24TH JUDICIAL DISTRICT COURT (noon 7/11/19 - 7/12/19)
- 25TH JUDICIAL DISTRICT COURT (7/11/19 - 7/12/19)
- 31ST JUDICIAL DISTRICT COURT (noon 7/12/19)
- 33RD JUDICIAL DISTRICT COURT (11am 7/15/19)
- 38TH JUDICIAL DISTRICT COURT (7/11/19 - 7/12/19)
- BATON ROUGE CITY COURT (7/12/19)
- East Baton Rouge Parish Juvenile Court will be closed Friday, July 12, 2019, and plan to reopen during routine business hours on Monday, July 15, 2019.
- FIRST PARISH COURT OF JEFFERSON (noon 7/11/19 - 7/12/19)
- SECOND PARISH COURT OF JEFFERSON (noon 7/11/19 - 6:00 PM 7/12/19)
- JEFFERSON PARISH JUVENILE COURT (noon 7/11/19 - 8:00 AM 7/15/19)
- Jeanerette City Court (7/12/19)
- HOUMA CITY COURT (7/12/19)
- LAFAYETTE CITY COURT will close at noon on Friday, July 12, due to inclement weather conditions. City Court of Lafayette will reopen for business as usual on Monday, July 15.
- OAKDALE CITY COURT (7/15/19)
- OPELOUSAS CITY COURT (noon 7/12/19)
NEW: District Court Rules – New Proposed Rule 31.4 with Accompanying Appendix 31.4 DCFS Form
In response to the addition of a new Department of Children & Family Services (“DCFS”) form requirement set forth in Act 277 (link) from the Legislature’s 2019 Regular Session, the DCFS Form Subcommittee – a subcommittee of the Supreme Court’s Court Rules Committee – has created a proposed new District Court Rule 31.4, as well as a proposed appendix to this Rule that will contain the new form that will be required by law as of August 1, 2019. The Court Rules Committee has reviewed and approved these subcommittee materials, which also include a proposed title change to the caption of Title IV of the District Court Rules to include Title IV-D proceedings, and they may now be found here. These materials will remain posted on this website for a 30-day public comment period that will run through July 21, 2019.
Interested parties who wish to comment on the materials during the thirty-day comment period may do so via electronic mail, facsimile, or U.S. Mail. Please submit all e-mails to firstname.lastname@example.org. Comments also may be faxed to the Court Rules Committee at 504-310-2606 or mailed to: Court Rules Committee, Louisiana Supreme Court, 400 Royal Street, Suite 1190, New Orleans, LA 70130.
Once the comment period has expired, the Court Rules Committee will review all comments, make any changes it deems appropriate, and then submit a final draft to the Louisiana Supreme Court for review and possible approval. All approved materials will take effect on August 1, 2019.
Court Rules Committee
2018 Louisiana Supreme Court Annual Report (pdf)
2018 Guide to Louisiana Courts (pdf)
Chief Justice Bernette Joshua Johnson announced that the Louisiana Supreme Court recently approved substantive revisions to Supreme Court Rule XIX, pertaining to lawyer disciplinary enforcement, to be effective May 15, 2019.
REQUEST FOR PROPOSALS 2019-03: The Supreme Court of Louisiana invites qualified data architecture professionals with demonstrable experience in data architecture transformation with court and public safety and justice records to submit proposals to serve as an independent data architecture consultant for the Court Case Management Information Systems office. Proposals will be accepted until 4:00 p.m. (CST) on Friday June 7, 2019.
LAW DAY 2019
BAR EXAM RESULTS
Executive Summary and Annual Report of the Louisiana Human Trafficking Prevention Commission
Public Comment Hearing and Written Comment Period for Reports from the Price of Justice Grant Advisory Committee
Chief Justice Bernette Joshua Johnson receives Prestigious Gertrude E. Rush Award
REQUEST FOR PROPOSALS 2019-02: The Supreme Court of Louisiana invites qualified firms to submit proposals to provide professional/technical financial and performance internal auditing services. Proposals will be accepted until at 4:00 p.m. on Friday, March 29, 2019.
Chief Justice Bernette Joshua Johnson to receive Gertrude E. Rush Award
The procedure for applying for Judicial Council recommendation regarding a new or increased court cost has changed. As per Act 553 of 2018, the application deadline for a new or increased cost has been changed to October 15 of the year prior to the calendar year the proposal is intended to introduced in the legislature.
Please use the new application and guidelines posted here:
Court Cost/Fee Guidelines (PDF) (revised October, 2018)
Court Cost Application Form (PDF) (revised September, 2018)
New Exhibit Celebrating the New Orleans Tricentennial!
- "Colonial Law in New Orleans, 1718-1803: Olde World Law in a New Land"
The Law Library is proud to debut a new permanent exhibit in the Louisiana Supreme Court Museum on colonial law in New Orleans. The exhibit discusses the legal landscape of the new French colony as it was established and the changes in the law as the colony transitioned to Spanish rule, then back again to French, before joining the United States. The exhibit features notable Louisiana and New Orleans leaders and their impact on the law.
Aimed at reducing the jail population in New Orleans, a new Public Safety Assessment (PSA) model was unveiled to assist judges and the Orleans Parish Criminal District Court Pretrial Services department with assessing the risk level defendants pose if released pending trial
REQUEST FOR QUALIFICATIONS 2018-001: The Louisiana Judicial College, Supreme Court of Louisiana is requesting Statements of Qualifications from qualified individuals (retired specialty court judges) interested in serving as an independent consultant to the new Louisiana Highway Safety Commission Judicial Outreach Liaison Program. Statements of Qualifications will be accepted until 4:00 p.m. (CT), on Friday, April 27, 2018.
Supreme Court Tasks LSBA with MCLE Administration
Louisiana’s Justice Reinvestment Reforms
Practitioners’ Guide (8/1/17)
Louisiana Justice Reinvestment Task Force Report and Recommendations (3/16/17)
Louisiana Court Interpreter Training Program Information & Registration
(Training/Testing Calendar- 2018)
COURT CLOSURE ORDERS
Forms for Louisiana Clerks of Court
Louisiana Judicial College 50 Cent Court Cost Remittance Form (Form A) Revised August 2016 (pdf) (Fillable PDF form)
Revised Monthly Civil Case Reporting Form (pdf) (Fillable PDF form)
Acts 403 & 404 Reporting Form - Civil Case Commitment Reporting for Submission to NICS
Acts 403 & 404 - Commitment - Restoration of Weapons Rights Reporting for Submission to NICS
Report of the Supreme Court of Louisiana to the Louisiana Legislature in Response to H.R. No. 156 of the 2014 Regular Legislative Session
The Louisiana Supreme Court has enacted Part G, Section 13 of this Court’s General Administrative Rules and Louisiana Civil Case Reporting Form for use in reporting on any case that “has been filed in state district court for damages arising from an offense or quasi-offense.”
Financial Rule for Judges, Justices of the Peace, and Judicial Candidates
List of Delinquent Filers (updated 07/07/16)
PLEASE NOTE: Please be advised that an e-mail is circulating purporting to be a Pretrial Notice for an appearance in “The Court of Louisiana.” Please be aware that this e-mail did not originate from the Louisiana Supreme Court. Additionally, please be aware that any attachment associated with this e-mail may contain a virus and those receiving an e-mail similar to the above should not open the attachment.
Release Alert Service
to the news release alert service and receive
an e-mail each time a news release is posted
on the court's web site.
News Release alerts are also available through
the Supreme Court's RSS service. The News Release
RSS feed is free of charge, for individual,
non-commercial use and users may incorporate
the RSS feed into their preferred newsreaders
and web logs.